The Vocational and Independent Living Specialist will be responsible for providing case management, vocational training, group psycho-educational activities, child and family team meeting coordination, planning and progress documentation, assessments, referral processes, mentoring, community advocacy, and resourcing for juveniles seeking independent living and vocational opportunities.
1. Facilitate and document child and family team meeting. This includes service planning.
2. Receive and review referral information and conduct interviews leading to the appropriate selection of candidates for admission.
3. Work closely with residential counselors to provide both daily and long term activity planning for youths and staff.
4. Access educational opportunities for youths online and through local trade and community college resources.
5. Create community involvement that provides mentors and apprenticeship opportunities leading to fulltime/part time employment for youths.
6. Monitor and assist resident counselors in the implementation of independent living activities.
7. Facilitate after care planning and continuing care services that promote employment, responsible housing choices, and other independent living skills.
8. Engage in daily living maintenance activities with youths and other staff such as lawn care, chores, meal preparation, nutritional planning, transportation, assessing resources for transportation, personal maintenance, etc.
9. Implement the full scope of the model of care trained and utilized in the program including a goal and skill-based curriculum, principles of learning theory, group and individualized systems of motivation, and focused therapeutic interventions.
10. Engage in other tasks that appropriately support the functioning of the program as determined by the Program Manager or other supervisory personnel.
Knowledge: Bachelor’s degree from accredited university. Psychology, social work, or other human services degree preferred.
Experience: Two years experience working with teen population. Residential programming experience working with at risk youth (or juvenile offenders) preferred.
• Must maintain a valid Driver’s License and an acceptable driving record.
• Must be insurable by Methodist Home for Children’s insurance carrier.
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule and shifts including overnights, weekends, holidays, and extended periods of time.
• Must successfully complete all phases of pre-service and on-going training, including, but not limited to, physical restraint training, First Aid, CPR, Universal Precautions, and medication administration.
• Must be able to work in high pressure, high stress environment.
• Position may experience verbal and/or physical aggression from client population.
• Possible exposure to infectious diseases.
• Must provide a negative drug screen result prior to employment.
• Must pass a post-employment physical and TB test and on-going physical assessments as required.
• Have the ability to perform physical demands associated with daily operational functions, property management, and client interactions, such as standing, bending, lifting, participation in physical activities, facility cleaning (interior and exterior) and maintenance, cooking, shopping, supplies inventory, and other rotating assignments.
• Have the ability to comprehend and produce accurate program documentation, including, but not limited to, client treatment plans, progress summaries, manage financial/budget tasks, and community correspondence.
• Have the ability to communicate professionally with consumers, including, but not limited to, parents, colleagues, and community service providers.
• Have the ability to provide on-going visual and physical proximity supervision of clients.
• Have the ability to participate in recreational activities with clients, including, but not limited to, arts, athletics, and outdoor activities.
• Have the ability to drive a 12-passenger van to transport clients.
• Have the ability to drive for agency related events during the day or night.
• Regular attendance at primary worksite and agency related events.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.